As a new mom, and in light of so many challenges that have been happening around the world and within our communities, I feel now, more than ever, supporting my patients’ health and well-being through my practice is crucial. Our communities are struggling with so many important issues and events, and it reminds me of why I became a Naturopathic Doctor.
It is the six guiding principles of Naturopathic Medicine that I have aligned my life and practice with and want to share these with you.
Naturopathic care is more than identifying and treating acute and chronic health concerns; it is a practice that is built on community, support, and kindness, all of which we need right now.
- Do no harm. Utilize methods and medicinal substances which minimize the risk of harmful side effects; Avoid, when possible, the harmful suppression of symptoms; Acknowledge and respect the individual’s healing process, using the least force necessary to diagnose and treat illness.
- The Healing Power of Nature. We, Naturopathic Doctors, work to restore and support the powerful and inherent healing ability of the body, mind and spirit and to prevent further disease from occurring. Naturopathic doctors identify and remove obstacles to recovery, facilitating and augmenting this ordered and intelligent healing ability.
- Identify and Treat the Cause. The primary goal of a naturopathic doctor is to determine and treat the underlying cause rather than only managing or suppressing symptoms. The underlying cause may be due to diet, lifestyle habits, life events, posture or environment. Symptoms are viewed as expressions of the body’s natural attempt to heal.
- Treat the Whole Person. Each person is unique and requires individualized care. In treating the cause of any condition, a naturopathic doctor takes into account physical symptoms and mental, emotional, genetic, environmental, social, spiritual, and other factors. Disease affects the entire person, not just a specific organ or system. Your nutritional status, lifestyle, family history, feelings, environmental stresses, and physical health are all carefully evaluated and addressed. Now more than ever, we are allowed to heal the global soul.
- Doctor as Teacher. Naturopathic doctors will assist you in understanding health and illness. They will provide an understanding of the factors that affect your health and help you balance and become more capable of maintaining your health. Naturopathic doctors also acknowledge the therapeutic value inherent in the doctor-patient relationship.
- Prevention and Health Promotion. Naturopathic doctors apply all of the above principles in a proactive form of disease prevention and health promotion. Naturopathic Doctors emphasize healthy daily habits; they assess risk factors and hereditary susceptibility to disease and make appropriate interventions to prevent illness. Health is more than just the absence of illness. It’s much easier to prevent disease through lifestyle modification than it is to treat one. As Naturopathic Doctors, we will help remove obstacles to enable you to live your life in health and wellness.
I encourage you to reach out to your Naturopathic Doctor or make your first appointment and learn how Naturopathic Medicine can assist you. My goal is to support you now, during these challenging times, and as you continue along your path to optimal health and well-being. Contact me at the IV Health Centre 604-974-8999 or email email@example.com.
-Dr. Kaylee Driedger, ND-