Microneedling is one of the most effective, natural treatments used to repair and stimulate optimal cellular health. Even though microneedling is often recommended as part of a series of treatments, you will see an improvement after each session.
I get a lot of questions on when the best time for treatment is, due to the effects it can have on the skin. The results are worth it! For me, the most uncomfortable part of the treatment is NOT the treatment itself, but the following 24-72 hours post-treatment that can feel hot, tight and occasionally itchy.
To get the most out of your treatment and help make this process feel more comfortable, treat your skin gently for the next few days:
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser and tepid water. Gently pat dry. Apply toner: Thayers Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel is one of the best for pulling the heat out of your skin.
- Hydrate – Hyaluronic acid gel is best to restore and hydrate the skin.
- Heal – Serum or oil with antioxidants to soothe and lessen the irritation.
- Stimulate your lymph with an iced gua sha tool. This is one of my favourite things to include because it is incredibly soothing to the skin and helps to remove cellular waste. Keep in mind gua sha requires a gentle touch as the lymph is a colourless fluid that will be sitting under your skin just waiting to be mobilized out and restored. Tip: Start under the ear and move towards your neck. Then, from the mid-line of your face out to your ear, then back down your neck again.
Things to avoid following treatment:
- Do NOT use any Active skincare such as AHA’s, BHA’s, Retinol, Vitamin C or mechanical scrubs or devices for the following week.
- Avoid direct sunlight.
- No swimming, exercise or strenuous activity for the first 48-72 hours.
- Don’t forget your sunscreen.
Don’t let the microneedling recovery scare you away from this treatment. It is a great way to increase the natural collagen in your skin, which can result in skin tightening, reduction in fine lines and deep wrinkles, as well as the restructuring of acne scar tissues.
Microneedling is just the treatment you need to give your skin the fall boost it deserves.
— Sarah McGuire, R.Ac
To book an appointment with Sarah, visit our website at theiv.ca or give us a call at 604-974-8999